Burns teen to raise money for hospital

Published: 26 Jan 2012 09:30

A Helensburgh teenager who accidentally set herself on fire is organising a charity event to thank the burns unit which helped her.

SAMIE: Wants to thank hospital Burns unit.

Samie Smith suffered third and second degree burns to her side, stomach and chest last summer after her clothes caught fire from a lighter.

The brave 16-year-old, who is currently completing a travel and tourism degree at Clydebank College, was sent to the burns unit at Glasgow Royal Infirmary where she was given a skin graft.

Samie said: "I had been playing with a lighter when I accidentally set my top on fire as I reached to get my mobile phone.

"I ran into the hall in my house and the fire alarm started going off. I tried blowing on the flames but that seemed to make it worse. My dad put me in the shower and the next thing I remember is waking up shaking in the living room."

Samie was taken by paramedics to the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley and her body was wrapped in protective film.

The next day Samie was transferred to the Royal Infirmary in Glasgow where her injuries were assessed.

She said: "The doctors told me I had a second degree burn on my stomach and third degree burns on my side and chest. My skin was really sore because all the nerves were damaged by the heat, but the doctors and nurses did a lot to make sure I was OK.

Now Samie is organising a charity ceilidh to raise funds for the unit which helped her recover from her ordeal.

She said: "I just wanted to find a way to say thank you. I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else, but I hope by raising money it will help people who are in a similar situation."

FULL DETAILS IN THIS WEEK'S ADVERTISER, PLUS HOW YOU CAN DONATE TO SAMIE'S FUND-RAISING EFFORT.

Jump to first paragraph.

Get more stories from our Roundup section

17 Apr 2014 08:30

Netball cup success for Lomond School stars

LOMOND School first year netball team lifted the Scottish Cup FIBA following convincing wins over Monifieth High School, Holyrood and Robert Gordon’s College.

16 Apr 2014 08:15

Regional recognition for netball stars

Two young Helensburgh netball players have been called up for the district team as they look to follow in the footsteps of fellow Burgh youngster, Rebecca Edgar, who is now starring for the Scotland under-19s team.

15 Apr 2014 08:15

Open day success for Helensburgh

HELENSBURGH Tennis Club celebrated its annual open day as families braved the miserable weather to enjoy a day of activities.

14 Apr 2014 08:15

Hermitage hockey festival

Hermitage Academy hosted its inaugural first and second year hockey festival at Glasgow Green Hockey Centre on Friday, March 14.

12 Apr 2014 09:30

Colgrain pupils claim netball title

YOUNG netball players from around Helensburgh and Lomond recently gathered at Lomond School to compete for the annual Lomond Inter-School Netball Shield.

11 Apr 2014 08:15

President Clark takes the James Sharp Cup

HELENSBURGH Curling Club president Adam Clark’s rink of Gordon Whitelaw, Alex Frew and John McGowan bagged the James Sharp Cup with a win over honorary president, Ronnie Dunachie’s rink.

10 Apr 2014 15:00

Rival's bid to track down Helensburgh champion swimmer

A FORMER Commonwealth Games athlete is looking to trace a Helensburgh man he competed against in the 1966 Games in Kingston, Jamaica.

Social: Comments0 comments

8 Apr 2014 09:30

Memorable season for Cardross tennis

Cardross Tennis Club is continuing to thrive on the back of a winter season packed full of events and tournaments.

6 Apr 2014 09:00

Gordon Reid is at the double

Helensburgh’s Gordon Reid returns home from the USA this week unbeaten in two men’s singles events after taking his career tally of ITF 1 Series titles to four following victory at the Pensacola Open over the weekend.

3 Apr 2014 10:00

Ruth Wishart: Women have earned a bit of selfie respect

No, since you ask, I don’t do selfies! But enough folk now take self portraits on their own phone for the word to have become the most popular new entry to the latest edition of the Oxford English Dictionary. Jings and crivvens as its editors probably didn’t say.

2 Apr 2014 13:00

HRH Prince Michael of Kent visits Faslane

HIS Royal Highness Prince Michael of Kent recently paid a short visit to HM Naval Base Clyde to meet senior naval staff and tour the facilities and ended up meeting the Navy’s newest record-breakers.

29 Mar 2014 09:30

Swimming club sets new pool top times

HELENSBURGH Amateur Swimming Club held two club competitions during the last month, hosting both the 400m open freestyle event and the Age Group Butterfly Gala.

20 Mar 2014 10:00

Ruth Wishart: Trust us, we're the MOD

‘Trust us, we’re the MOD’, has never seemed a slogan with much of a comforting ring from where I’m looking.

14 Mar 2014 16:37

King rules in Worcester

THIS weekend saw the Netball Europe Under-17s Championships held in Worcester Arena and while Helensburgh didn’t have any players in the squad they had Lyndsay King representing Scotland for Team White, the umpires.

14 Mar 2014 13:00

Plastic bag saves Helensburgh man who stashed shotgun in mum's loft from jail

A HELENSBURGH dad who kept a a sawn-off shotgun in his mum's loft for 20 years has escaped a jail sentence thanks to a plastic bag.

12 Mar 2014 08:30

Mini league kicks off for Helensburgh swim starlets

Helensburgh Amateur Swimming Club recently took part in the first round of the Clyde Coast Mini League 2014.

8 Mar 2014 09:30

Gordon Reid stars alongside Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, Pat Cash and Ivan lendl

HELENSBURGH wheelchair tennis star Gordon Reid took centre court alongside tennis legends Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, Pat Cash and Ivan lendl at London’s World Tennis Day Showdown.

6 Mar 2014 16:30

Politicians come to Helensburgh for sell-out debate

A LIVE debate on Scottish independence featuring political heavyweights Mike Russell MSP and Jackie Baillie MSP is a sell out.

6 Mar 2014 13:00

Post Office consultation continues

REPRESENTATIVES from the Post Office have encouraged members of the public to have their say in plans for a new modern premises.

3 Mar 2014 10:00

Gordon Reid shows he's best in Britain

Gordon Reid saw off competition from youngster Alfie Hewett to win the men’s singles title at the USN Bolton Arena Indoor Wheelchair Tennis Tournament.