Burns teen to raise money for hospital

Published: 26 Jan 2012 09:30

A Helensburgh teenager who accidentally set herself on fire is organising a charity event to thank the burns unit which helped her.

SAMIE: Wants to thank hospital Burns unit.

Samie Smith suffered third and second degree burns to her side, stomach and chest last summer after her clothes caught fire from a lighter.

The brave 16-year-old, who is currently completing a travel and tourism degree at Clydebank College, was sent to the burns unit at Glasgow Royal Infirmary where she was given a skin graft.

Samie said: "I had been playing with a lighter when I accidentally set my top on fire as I reached to get my mobile phone.

"I ran into the hall in my house and the fire alarm started going off. I tried blowing on the flames but that seemed to make it worse. My dad put me in the shower and the next thing I remember is waking up shaking in the living room."

Samie was taken by paramedics to the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley and her body was wrapped in protective film.

The next day Samie was transferred to the Royal Infirmary in Glasgow where her injuries were assessed.

She said: "The doctors told me I had a second degree burn on my stomach and third degree burns on my side and chest. My skin was really sore because all the nerves were damaged by the heat, but the doctors and nurses did a lot to make sure I was OK.

Now Samie is organising a charity ceilidh to raise funds for the unit which helped her recover from her ordeal.

She said: "I just wanted to find a way to say thank you. I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else, but I hope by raising money it will help people who are in a similar situation."

FULL DETAILS IN THIS WEEK'S ADVERTISER, PLUS HOW YOU CAN DONATE TO SAMIE'S FUND-RAISING EFFORT.

Jump to first paragraph.