Helensburgh FC edged out St Patrick's FP's second team in a nine-goal thriller last week, winning 5-4 at home in a League Cup tie.

The visitors took an early lead but the home side slowly got into their stride and had levelled the game before half time.

They once again came out of the traps slowly at the start of the second half as St Pat's raced into a two-goal lead - and though the Burgh side got one back, the visitors pressed on and restored the two goal advantage shortly thereafter

With ten minutes left it wasn't looking good for Helensburgh, but the hosts produced a stunning comeback, scoring three goals in the last 10 minutes.

Goals from Sinclair, Johns, Tadlock and two for Ryan Jones sealed the win.

The Burgh side then carried this form into their start of their first Greater Glasgow Premier AFL campaign on Saturday, beating South Lochaber Thistle 4-2.

In a game where they dominated from the start, two goals from Tadlock and one apiece from Johns and Sinclair put them four clear before a couple of late goals from the visitors took the shine off a terrific performance.

* Meanwhile, Helensburgh FC's 2005s team travelled to Mountblow in Clydebank for their first ever Dunbartonshire Football Development League game at 11-a-side level against a well organised and supported Kilbowie team, losing 7-4.

Kilbowie started the match at a frantic pace and the Helensburgh team found themselves 3-0 down within the opening 10 minutes.

Slowly, however, Helensburgh started to get into the game and the midfield was starting to dominate; a through ball was clinically put away by Russell to make it 3-1 and again Russell was on hand to score after the keeper had saved his initial shot to make it 3-2.

In the second half Kilbowie added an excellent goal to make it 4-2, however Russell was on hand to score an excellent free kick into the top corner to make it 4-3 to Kilbowie and complete his hat-trick.

On 60 minutes a corner from Galliers was headed into the Kilbowie net by the ecstatic Traynor to make it 4-4.

It was now game on, but a combination of tired legs and relentless Kilbowie pressure resulted in three excellent goals in the last 10 minutes to make it 7-4 to Kilbowie.

Helensburgh FC 2005s' coach Kenny Russell said: “The team had never actually scored any goals in any of our pre-season friendlies, so to go and score four, and make Kilbowie work hard for their victory, shows that the team is progressing in the right way."