A FORMER Helensburgh restaurant worker has been given six weeks to pay £1,000 in compensation after he kicked and smashed a window at a pub in the town.

Several patrons were covered with shattered glass as a result of the attack at the Clyde Bar in West Clyde Street on Sunday, November 25.

The perpetrator, Youcef Boutrid, was also ordered to carry out 160 hours of unpaid work as a punishment.

The 29-year-old, of Captain’s Drive in Edinburgh, was sentenced at Dumbarton Sheriff Court on Friday after pleading guilty to a charge of culpable and reckless conduct which put the pub’s occupants in danger – in particular one customer who was sitting beside the damaged window and was showered with glass as a result.

Prosecutor Colin Wilson told the court: “The pub had a 2am closing time. At 1.10am door stewards had reason to eject Boutrid because of his level of intoxication and attempting to fight with a customer.

“Having been ejected, he struck the front window with his right foot. One of the customers, sitting at the table beside the window, was covered in glass.

“He ran off, but stewards chased after him and grabbed him. Police were contacted.

“The shattered glass covered a number of patrons. The woman suffered a small cut to her neck. CCTV within the premises captured the incident.

“Boutrid was arrested and taken to Clydebank police office, but due to his intoxication could not be cautioned and charged at the time. The value of the damage was £800.”

Defence lawyer Philip Lafferty said: “Due to his heavy state of intoxication he has no meaningful recollection of the incident.

“He pleaded guilty at the first available opportunity. He had been employed at a restaurant within Helensburgh but as a result of this incident he no longer works there.

“He is currently at a temporary bail address, staying with his sister in Edinburgh.

“He has co-operated fully with the preparation of the social work report and this is his first offence. His behaviour was out of character.”

Sheriff Simon Pender told Boutrid: “I take account of this being your first offence, and I will deal with it by way as an alternative to custody and impose a community payback order.”

Boutrid was put under social workers’ supervision for 18 months and ordered to pay the pub owners £800 in compensation to pay for the damage to the window.

He was also ordered to pay a further £200 to the woman who was covered in glass by his attack.

In addition he was ordered to carry out 160 hours of unpaid work – a total reduced from 240 hours because of his early guilty plea – within eight months.

Boutrid was told to pay the full £1,000 in compensation within six weeks.