A HOUSE in Garelochhead was destroyed by fire on Wednesday morning.

Residents of the village’s Linn Walk reported that the blaze started shortly before 9am in the mid-terrace building.

Helensburgh police reported that a 48-year-old man, the sole occupant of the house, was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation but his condition was not serious.

READ MORE: VIDEO: Dramatic footage of house fire in Garelochhead.

Angelina Star, who lives on the same street, said she was in shock at witnessing the incident so close to home.

She added: “I can’t believe this has happened, it’s awful.

“The house is just a shell now.

“The poor man has lost everything.”

Another resident described the fire as “really quite fierce” and said a neighbour managed to get the owner out of his home safely.

According to police, a fire officer at the scene believed the blaze to be accidental, possibly caused by a cigarette being dropped on to a blanket.

READ MORE: Luss filling station fire started deliberately, say police.

Police said they were standing by late on Wednesday afternoon until the property was secured and both gas and electricity had been isolated as a precaution.

A spokeswoman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “The SFRS was alerted at 8.53am on Wednesday, March 13 to reports of a dwelling fire in Garelochhead.

“Operations Control mobilised three fire engines and firefighters extinguished the fire on the ground floor.

“There were no casualties.

“Crews left the scene after ensuring the area was made safe.”