RHU Amateurs’ Greater Glasgow Premier League team found the going tough on the road over the last week in their latest FN Teamwear League Cup sectional fixtures.

After beating Oban Saints in their first competitive game of the new season, Rhu fell to a 2-1 loss away to first division rivals Calderglen last Wednesday before overcoming several personnel changes to grind out a 1-1 draw at Colquhoun United on Saturday.

Having beaten Oban Saints 5-3 in their first group match, Rhu travelled to Lochwinnoch last midweek knowing a close match was likely against a Calderglen side who have always provided tough opposition in past matches between the sides, and this one was no exception.

With a number of changes in the squad from Saturday, it took some time for Rhu to settle in to any form of rhythm and it was the hosts who opened the scoring after 20 minutes when their winger found space at the edge of the box and his quick turn and shot surprised both defence and keeper as the ball sneaked into the net.

The rest of the first half was nip and tuck with both teams struggling to play any form of fluent football, but the second period saw an upturn in Rhu’s fortunes, and five minutes after the restart they were level when a fine pass down the right wing found Ross Jeffrey – and with everyone expecting a shot at goal, he instead looked up and found Robert Caldwell coming in from the left to sidefoot his team-mate’s inch-perfect pass into the net.

READ MORE: Family fun at Royal Northern and Clyde Yacht Club's Discover Sailing Day

Jeffrey almost managed a second a few minutes later, but was inches away from meeting Ryan Jones’ tantalising cross.

A draw looked likely, but it was Calderglen who snatched the win late on after some poor play in midfield; keeper David Stevenson raced out to meet the danger, but his attempted clearance bounced off a Calderglen striker’s leg – and though it looked like Geraint Meader might have made up the ground to clear the ricochet, the home striker did well to follow up and get in the way and the ball bounced into the net.

Saturday saw the Rhu squad visit Bearsden to face a Colquhoun United side who were in confident mood after winning their first two games – but it was the visitors who made the perfect start when Brooks Tadlock opened the scoring after a great overlap by Sean Cameron.

Jeffrey should have increased the visitors’ lead but his volley from six yards out went over rather than under the bar, while at the other end stand-in keeper Ally Fagin made a top-class full length save to turn the hosts’ one real first half chance on to the post and away to safety.

READ MORE: Run of ill luck dents Fraser Anderson's hopes in British Rally Championship Academy Trophy

But Colquhoun picked up their pace at the start of the second half and were soon level: though the award of a free kick just outside the Rhu penalty area was somewhat dubious, the strike that found the net was not.

Both sides had chances in the remainder of the second half but the pace of the game seemed to fade and a draw was just about a fair result.

Assistant boss Russell Makeham said: “It’s always difficult at this time of the season with midweek games and lads trying to get away from work and so on, but the fight and competitiveness shown in the games so far gives us hope to take forward.”

Squad: Stevenson, Fagin, Cameron, Johns, Meader, Grant, Gorman, Gray, Paterson, Jeffrey, Jones, Caldwell, Tadlock, Conroy, Dods, McKee, McConnell, McKell, Thomas, Johansson, MacLachlan.

Rhu’s GGPAFL squad continue their League Cup campaign at home to Kilsyth Amateurs this Saturday, August 28 - kick-off is at 2pm.