AN ANIMAL charity has issued a warning over the dangers of antifreeze after a cat died shortly after ingesting the chemical.

The Scottish SPCA published the alert after a young cat had to be put to sleep following the incident in Ayrshire.

The charity says it does not believe the poisoning was deliberate but has asked the public to take some simple steps to protect their pets.

Scottish SPCA inspector, Caitlin Rea said: β€œIt’s common for cats to access garages or areas where antifreeze may not be stored safely so we are appealing for local residents to please check anywhere that they think might be a risk.”

Antifreeze should always be stored out of reach of cats and other animals and householders should check regularly to ensure there have been no leaks.