Helensburgh and Lomond residents are being urged to stay fire safe as households look to keep warm whilst cutting energy bills.

Amid rising costs, the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is anticipating that people may look at alternative ways of heating and lighting their homes. 

Changing behaviours could put households at risk of accidental fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Deputy assistant chief officer Alastair Perry said: “We remind people not to use camping stoves or barbecues indoors, to use the correct fuels for woodburning stoves and open fires and if using candles, to use these safely, or use LED lights or torches. 

“Also, be aware of potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning if using old or unfamiliar heaters.”

To arrange a fire safety visit, call 0800 0731 999.