Helensburgh Hockey Club Men’s first XI were the only team in action last weekend, as they travelled to take on Western third XI through in Milngavie.

After an impressive 5-1 victory last week, the side were sitting top of the West District Division 1 – but they were unable to continue the momentum this time around, coming in for a 3-1 defeat.

The game started at a frantic pace with both sides fighting for possession. Western held the lions’ share however and were first to bring the goalkeepers in to action. Mark Findlay, in the Burgh goal, was equal to the task, however, and kept out the Western strikers.

It wasn’t long before the score was broken, and Western took an early 1-0 lead.

The game continued at the hectic pace, with both sides carving out opportunities, but the defences were on top.

Findlay was certainly kept busy in the Helensburgh goal, but he was equal to every shot fired at him.

As the half continued, Burgh pushed further up the pitch and managed to squeeze an equaliser in just before half time. It was another well-constructed goal, something the team was becoming good at. The ball started with Harry Green at the back, as he moved it up the wing to Mark Ormsby.

Ormbsy played the pass into Barry Cox, who, in turn, laid it off to Gavin Mackenzie.

Mackenzie was on the base line, where he beat a defender to then pass it to Sean Caulfield in the middle of the D. The youngster rifled his shot home to bring the scores level.

The second half continued at the fast pace set in the first half, but it was Western that seemed to have the upper hand.

A worrying injury took Mackenzie off, before Gavin McWilliam saved a shot with his wrist, leading to him having to go off.

Findlay was like a man possessed in goals, reaching shots that most of those on the pitch thought had snuck in.

It wasn’t long until the Western pressure eventually told, and they got a goal to take them 2-1 up.

Helensburgh pushed for the equaliser, as Jamie Caulfield came close on a couple of occasions – one just out of reach and the other just mis-controlled.

Sadly, the equaliser didn’t come for Helensburgh, and it was Western that went up the other end and had a shot saved on the line by a Helensburgh foot.

Findlay went the right way, but the Western Captain coolly scored the penalty flick. The injuries seemed to be the theme for the day as David McGregor tried to use his head on the ball, and had to go off, bringing the injured McWilliam back on. However, it was not to be for Burgh as the game ended 3-1.

Next week, all three teams are in action with the first XI at home against Uddingston at 12.15pm. Come down to Hermitage Academy to support the boys. The second XI are also at home, after the first XI, as they take on Kelburne. The third XI are away at Clydesdale.

Helensburgh Team: Mark Findlay (MoM); Harry Green; Gavin McWilliam; Brian Kennedy; Ian Bowyer; Gordon Black (capt.); Mark Ormsby; Callum Sumsion; Gavin Mackenzie; Sean Caulfield (1); Barry Cox; David McGregor; Dayle Hartopp; Jamie Caulfield