RHU Colts manager Jamie Kjörstad said he was delighted with the response from his players to their half-time team talk as they progressed to the second round of the Glasgow Colleges AFL’s Jim Harvey Cup.

Rhu found themselves 2-0 down at home to Rosebank United at the interval on Saturday – but roared back in the second half, with a Dale Walker double and goals from Thomas Welsh and George McConnell securing a 4-2 win.

With overnight rain making the playing surface heavy underfoot it was always going to be a hard shift for Rhu, and the visitors took an early lead when a through ball wasn’t dealt with properly by the home defence and Rosebank’s striker was allowed clean through to slide the ball past Lewis in goal.

Rocked by the early setback, Rhu found it hard to get a foothold in the game and were caught napping on 25 minutes when a long ball down the left allowed Rosebank’s winger to take the ball through on goal and coolly slot home his side’s second.

Walker thought he’d pulled one back from close range, only for the referee to blow for offside in what would be Rhu’s only real chance of a disappointing first 45 minutes.



But words of encouragement at half time, and the introduction of David Sinclair into the midfield, quickly had the desired effect, with Kjörstad playing a nice ball in for the experienced Walker to strike a rocket into the top corner of the net.

With their tails now up, Rhu continued to press – and found themselves level five minutes later when Kjörstad’s corner was flicked on by Maule for skipper Welsh to bundle home.

Rosebank were far from finished, and the visitors were unlucky when the ball rattled the crossbar from a well taken free kick – but as the game entered the final third it was the young Rhu lads who were mastering the heavy park and creating more chances.

Walker should have put the hosts ahead only to miskick in front of goal – but he made amends soon after when he controlled a delivery from Sinclair on his chest and knocked it into the path of McConnell, who coolly rolled the ball into the net.

With the home side now well in control Walker sealed the win when he added his second and Rhu’s fourth with 10 minutes to go.

Manager Kjörstad said afterwards: “The lads were disappointing in the first half – not sure why, but we took the opportunity to remind them of some things at half time, which they obviously took on board and we were by far the better side in the second half.

“Despite the state of the park both teams are to be congratulated for putting on a good contest in from of a decent crowd.”

Squad: Lewis, Kjorstad, Brown, Caldow, Black, Maule, McConnell, Cameron, Welsh, Moy, Walker, Aitken, Sinclair, Burch, Dawson, Brown.

Rhu’s Caledonian League squad were left frustrated on Saturday afternoon when their home clash with Dunblane SC was abandoned after heavy rain made the pitch unplayable – despite the surface passing a pre-match inspection.