RHU Amateurs have thanked the supporters who turned out in force for the team’s biggest match in years last week.

Gordon Brodie’s Caledonian League squad saw their dreams of glory snuffed out in clinical fashion las a strong St Mungo’s side won 3-1 at Glenhead Park in Duntocher in the semi-final of the William Turner Challenge Cup.

Though Rhu went into the match on form, it was St Mungo’s who came out the blocks flying, looking to capitalise on a slow start by their opponents – and it was the Bishopbriggs side who took the lead in 10 minutes after some slackness in the Rhu defence.

The loss of the opening goal sparked Rhu into life, and despite playing their league football a division lower than their opponents, Brodie’s men created numerous chances and could feel aggrieved not to go into the interval on level terms.

A positive half-time team talk saw Rhu determined to come out for the second half determined to put their stamp on the game – but St Mungo’s were equally determined to kill the game as a contest.

Rhu still managed to created a couple of gilt-edged second-half chances, and on a different day they might have found themselves level – on this night though, it was the Premier League side who seized the initiative, adding to their tally with two quick-fire goals to effectively end the match as a contest.


Rhu Amateurs boss Gordon Brodie

Rhu Amateurs boss Gordon Brodie


Rhu, though, refused to throw in the towel, and continued to push until the final whistle, with their efforts finally rewarded five minutes from the end when Ryan Jones coolly slotted home from the penalty spot after a foul inside the box.

Sadly it was too little too late for Brodie’s men, with St Mungo’s using their vast experience to see out what was left of the game and seal their place in the final against either St Joseph’s or Premier Division champions East Kilbride YM.

Brodie said afterwards: “Despite this loss the club can hold our heads high with the progress we’ve made in the past year.

“Reaching this semi final has whetted the boys’ appetite for success and if we stick together and play for each other then we have a bright future ahead of us.

"This was our first semi final since 2016 and we can guarantee that we will do everything in our power to bring success to our club.

“Good luck to St Mungo's for the final and thanks to the officials on the night – and a huge thank you to everyone that came out in big numbers to support us.

“Sorry we didn’t get you the result you wanted, but we’ll be back!”

Brodie’s men were back in action on Saturday, but were unable to replicate their cup win away to Rothesay Brandane at the beginning of the month, losing 2-1 to the Bute side on league business.

Rhu’s final match of the campaign is at home to Dunblane SC on June 2.