Arrochar Parish Church will be throwing open its doors to the public later this month as part of the Scotland-wide Doors Open Days festival.

The church - the only Helensburgh and Lomond venue on the calendar for this year's event - will be open to the public on Saturday, September 16 between 10am and 4pm.

Built in 1847 to replace a previous church building of 1733, the remains of which can still be seen in the old graveyard, the church was completely refurbished about 25 years ago thanks, largely, to the determination and generosity of the local community.

Inside there are several stained-glass windows, some by noted artists, made between around 1870 and 2003. The pipe organ was installed in around 1860 and refurbished in 2019.

The bell and communion cups were bequeathed by Lady Helen Arbuthnot, the widow of the 19th Macfarlane Chieftain and mother of both the 20th and 21st Chieftains. The bell and communion cups are still in regular use.

For Doors Open Days there will be an exhibition of crafts made by members of the Craft and Chat Circle, which meets every Wednesday in the church hall.

The crafts on display will include quilting, lacework, knitting and crochet, and some members of the Craft and Chat Circle will be demonstrating their crafts throughout the day. The quilting demonstration will take place in the church hall, which is accessed from the church (up three steps to the chancel then down three steps), or from the side door, which has a small ramp.

There are information sheets about each of the stained-glass windows, and the history of the church available for visitors who would prefer a self-guided tour.

For more information see

Other Argyll and Bute venues taking part in this year's festival include Rothesay Pavilion, Castle House Museum in Dunoon, Mount Stuart on Bute and the Museum of Islay Life in Port Charlotte.