THE headteacher of a pupil who collapsed at home and later died has paid touching tribute to the “charismatic” teenager.

Graeme Sives, head at Hamilton Grammar School, also said 17-year-old Brandon Rice had ambitions to join the fire service.

We reported previously how police are investigating the death.

Officers were called to a property in Pitreavie Court, Hamilton, at around 3.30am on Wednesday after the 17-year-old fell ill.

Paramedics treated him at the scene and he was taken by ambulance to University Hospital Hairmyres in East Kilbride.

READ MORE: Loved ones' tributes as teen Brandon Rice dies after falling ill in Hamilton

He later died at the hospital, Police Scotland confirmed. It is understood one line of inquiry is that the death may be drug-related.

Brandon was named locally as touching tributes from loved ones were paid on social media.

Mr Sives said: "Everyone at the school had a great affinity with Brandon - he was friendly, endearing and charismatic.

"He was as popular with staff as he was with his fellow students and had just been elected as a prefect for next session.

"Brandon was a talented sportsman, particularly in rugby and also last month gained a silver medal in track and field at the county sports."

He added: "He was a student mentor for the Sportworx training programme having excelled on the course the previous year and had career options in that area as well as ambitions to join the fire service.

For all your breaking Glasgow news, click here, or head to our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages

"Brandon was a fine young man and is a great loss to our school community.

"He had contributed so strongly and had so much to offer and his passing will be keenly felt by all of us."

The death is currently being treated as unexplained and a post-mortem examination will take place to establish the cause of death.

Two teenage girls, aged 16 and 17, and a 16-year-old boy who were also in the property at the time were taken to the hospital as a precaution.

They are not thought to be seriously ill.