Helensburgh RFC P6 and P7 teams combined last Saturday to take on a strong Birkmyre side and two Glasgow Accies sides.

After having three home games cancelled in October, the players were delighted to get back on the field.

Birkmyre and a Helensburgh select played out a physical encounter on one pitch, with another closely contested match between Helensburgh and Glasgow Accies taking place on the adjacent pitch.

The teams had the opportunity to play a number of matches in a round robin format with very competitive games taking place.

This year the P6 teams see the introduction of scrums, contested by opposition hookers but with no pushing allowed from the other players.

Both Burgh teams dealt with the new technical aspect of scrums and played some fantastic open running rugby with strong tackling and offloads.

The club would like to thank all the parents and volunteers who helped on the day and especially the P6 parents who organised the food, teas, coffees and home baking stall to raise much needed funds for the youth section.

Helensburgh RFC's two P5 squads burst into action after a period frustrated by cancelled training and games as they took on Garnock and Birkmyre.

Garnock brought a physically larger squad that presented challenges to the Burgh defence, when Burgh had ball in hand, their speed and agility in attack put points in the board.

Birkmyre presented a more balanced opposition, and Burgh proved they could learn their lesson quickly and adapt, putting on a fine display of rugby.

* Meanwhile, the Lomond School/Helensburgh RFC combined under-16 side couldn’t fight their way back from a slow start in a 42-21 defeat away to Queen Victoria School in Dunblane.

The Lomond/Helensburgh side were 26 points down with just 25 minutes played.

The team started to front up to the QVS side's physicality, and Iain Fulton scampered over the line from a free kick on the half-time whistle.

The away side extended their tally through a very well taken try from Alexander Caskie who showed good foot work and strength to score under the sticks soon after the restart.

Lomond/Helensburgh pulled the score back to 26-21 through a well worked try finished off by Stewart Peden, but this was as close as they were to get as QVS pulled away in the closing stages.