Helensburgh FC's President's Cup section tie away to Rannoch last Saturday was abandoned after the home side's goalkeeper suffered a serious injury.

The Burgh were 4-1 up in Bearsden when the Rannoch shot-stopper went down injured just before half-time, with referee Tommy Lacy abandoning the game after an ambulance was called amid fears the Rannoch player had broken his ankle.

Helensburgh settled in quickly and despite the heavy underground conditions were passing the ball around well.

Some early probing runs by Sinclair put pressure on the home defence, and from one of these a corner ensued.

Up stepped Karl Johannson to whip in the corner, and Danny Johns rose highest to head the ball into the net.

The Burgh side were bossing the game, but got caught out when a hopeful punt up the park from the Rannoch defence played the hosts in, and the home side equalised.

Thankfully for the visitors parity didn’t last long, and Burgh found themselves back in the lead when Brian Cameron netted from the penalty spot – his first goal for the club.

It was all Helensburgh now and they went into a two goal lead through an own goal when Bailey’s free kick was headed into the net by a Rannoch defender.

Sinclair, who had been terrorising his opponent since the kick off, made it four when he latched onto a fine pass from Johannson to fire the ball low past the keeper.

With only minutes left till half time, the Rannoch keeper came off second best when he tried to tackle Lee Dickson just as he shot at goal.

The keeper didn’t get back up off the ground as he felt he had damaged his ankle.

The referee gave it till the second half was due to start, but with the keeper still lying in the same spot, and fearing his ankle was broken, the referee abandoned the game as an ambulance was called to the scene.

Manager Sam Gemmell said: “We were obviously disappointed that the game was stopped as we were on top form and looked as if we could have scored a lot more.

“However the welfare of the players is the referee’s responsibility and despite our disappointment it probably was the right call.

“Hopefully it will get sorted out at league committee level.”

Squad: O’Brien, Johns, Cameron, Black, Bailey, Rowe, Park, Johannson, Maule, Sinclair, Dickson, Tadlock, Fowlis, Findlay, Martin, Meader.

This Saturday, December 9, Helensburgh are back on home soil with a league fixture against Glasgow's St Thomas AFC.