Helensburgh Rugby Club picked up a losing bonus point from their 13-6 defeat to Greenock Wanderers on Saturday.

The contest was in truth never likely to be a classic, and with both sides showing signs of rustiness after the festive season break the match degenerated into a stop-start affair, with mistakes and unforced errors disrupting the flow and tempo of the game.

The match was punctuated with scrummages and restarts as the players struggled to get to grips with a greasy surface, slippery ball and wet, muddy underfoot conditions.

Helensburgh started the game brightest and held the initiative through the first quarter.

Goal-kicker Jonny Drake gave the Grizzlies an early lead when he knocked over a penalty attempt on eight minutes after the Greenock defence strayed offside at the breakdown.

From then on defences were very much on top but any scoring opportunities that presented themselves for either side were squandered due to poor handling and slack passing.

Greenock’s Kevin Murray levelled the scores with a penalty on 15 minutes after the referee gave Wanderers an award after the home pack tried to prevent fair release at the breakdown, but as the break loomed neither side seemed likely to make the breakthrough.

The second half started in similar vein to the first, with Burgh goal-kicker Drake converting an early penalty to regain the lead for his side to make it 6-3.

But Greenock eventually broke through on the hour mark, and Dougie McIntyre and Lee Oribine got the Nock close to the line, with Callum Robb eventually going over for the hosts to make it 8-6.

Helensburgh refused to quit and battled bravely in an effort to get back on terms but on 70 minutes a fine solo effort by Greenock’s hard running centre Kieran Smith proved the pivotal moment in the tie.

Smith blasted through the midfield channel and despite several attempted tackles the home defence was powerless to stop him crossing the whitewash to dot down Wanderers second try of the game.

Devlin shaved the post with his conversion attempt but with Greenock only seven points ahead the travelling support had to endure a testing and nervous last few minutes as they struggled to hold on to their lead, but were able to close the game out.

Helensburgh will be hoping to bounce back in their next game away to Cambuslang on Saturday. Kick-off is at 2pm.