LOMOND School’s girls’ hockey first team were unlucky to lose out 2-1 to Wellington School in their latest fixture.

The team started strongly, creating scoring opportunities from their penalty corners, but despite all the attacking play they were unable to find the target.

It was Wellington who took the lead from an open play goal, but Lomond’s captain, Wallis Jamieson, retaliated well with a solo run and a fine finish to even the score at half time.

In the second half, Lomond continued to create opportunities with Molly Macken striking the ball well in the circle. Unfortunately, despite good defending from Lomond, it was Wellington who secured the win with another open play goal.

Felicity Hutchison led the team from her sweeping position and Wallis continued to attack the game and encourage the other players round about her.

The school’s second XI had to play in very cold and snowy conditions against their Wellington counterparts, and both teams coped well despite the conditions.

Lomond attacked in numbers and created chances but unfortunately, they did not score.

Holly Walker worked very hard up front and tried her hardest to score and it was Robyn Hodgson who made some excellent saves to secure the 0-0 draw.

Meanwhile, Lomond’s first years were playing at the High School of Glasgow in the West District tournament.

Milly Harkness was captain for the event and the first match was against the host school.

After a nervy start from Lomond against the host school, Amber Wells managed to make good ground with the ball and tried to attack the game.

Neve Hamilton made good runs for Amber, but it was the High School who attacked in numbers and scored twice round Caragh Hird in goals.

Lomond continued to defend for their lives and it was encouraging that they did not concede any more goals despite all the pressure they were under. Amber was the most valuable player during this match.

The second match was against Jordanhill and the Lomond players showed great individual skill and commitment. Caragh made some excellent saves in goal, but Jordanhill never gave up.

Ruby was effective in defence and it was Lucy McRae who ran hard to attack and defend, but despite the team’s hard work. The final score was 3-0 to Jordanhill.

The last section match was against St.Aloysius’, to whom Lomond had lost convincingly last weekend.

Lomond pulled out all stops and never gave up in any area of the pitch. Esha Lalley tackled well along with Rachael Stewart and Ruby Cathro.

Milly demonstrated great control and composure from her numerous free hits and the midfield never gave up running all over the pitch.

Lucy, Amber, Zara and Zoe McEwan played a vital role with Amy Daveney, Lauren McAuley and Neve all attacking the game in numbers.

Lomond defended extremely well and managed to draw the match 0-0.

The High School went on to win the tournament beating Glasgow Academy in the final.