HELENSBURGH FC booked their spot in the second round of the Scottish Cup by seeing off Ochiltree Community AFC 3-2 in a replay at Hermitage Academy on Saturday.

The local lads, who battled back from two goals down to draw 3-3 in the first game in the Ayrshire village seven days previously, settled well and controlled the game from the start but were finding it difficult to break down a stubborn Ochiltree defence.

The breakthrough came after 20 minutes when right-back Wilkie controlled a long clearance, took a few strides forward and from fully 35 yards fired a rocket that left the opponents’ keeper clutching handfuls of fresh air as the ball crashed off the underside of the bar and bounced high into the net.

Moving into a higher gear now, Helensburgh should have increased their lead a few times, but the final pass just let them down.

However, just before the break, Burgh did notch the vital second goal when a corner from Craig Petro found captain Danny Johns, who rose majestically to head home.

The second half was well controlled by the Burgh team and it was no surprise when they made it 3-0, Petro adding to his two-goal haul from the first game when he slotted home from the penalty spot after an Ochiltree defender committed a foul inside the area.

To compound the visitors’ problems, they then had a man sent off, seemingly dashing their already faint hopes of forcing the game into extra time.

And the ‘game over’ thoughts might well have been going through the Helensburgh players’ minds, too – but they were given a bit of a jolt when Ochiltree were awarded a penalty of their own, and though keeper O’Brien saved the initial effort he was unable to keep the rebound out of the net.

Another bad challenge saw the visitors lose a second player to a red card – but with nothing to lose now, they kept pushing forward and were awarded a second penalty in the dying moments.

This one fell into the ‘very dubious’ category, but Ochiltree’s penalty taker didn’t care as he slammed home the spot-kick.

Fortunately for Helensburgh, though, the visitors’ second goalwas virtually the last kick of the match, securing the hosts’ place in the third round and a tie away to East Kilbride Thistle on Saturday, October 6.

Squad: O’Brien, Johns, Makeham, Findlay, Bailey, Black, Park, Sinclair, Tadlock, Petro, Thomas, Wilkie, McNeil, Rowe, Martin

Helensburgh’s players and staff would like to thanks the staff at Logie's for the after match food on Saturday.