ARDENCAPLE FC’s 2006 team secured a place in the semi-finals of the West Regional Cup after a 3-1 win over Pollok United on Saturday in their best performance of 2019 so far.

Caple knew they would have to be at the top of their game to beat a high-flying Pollok side, but though they took the game to Pollok early on, the few half-chances in the opening stages came to nothing.

Caple’s best chance of the first half came following good work by Shields, who rolled the ball to Calum Sharp; he split the Pollok defence with a finely-weighted pass, but Poirier’s shot was superbly saved.

And on 25 minutes it was Pollok who took the lead from a free kick which was chipped high into the net, giving keeper O’Rourke no chance.

READ MORE: EK defeat halts Burgh's nine-match winning streak.

Dorizon was unlucky with a first-time shot from 35 yards which only just missed the target, before Pollok had what they thought was a second goal disallowed after their winger was just caught offside.

Caple trailed 1-0 at the break, but deservedly levelled early in the second half through Poirier’s snap-shot from 15 yards – and better was to come as a fine pass from Calum Sharp released Murray, who took his time before shooting high past the Pollok keeper from 20 yards.

READ MORE: Loch Lomond Hockey Club beat Garnock 9-0.

Pollok always looked a threat going forward, but a superb goal put clear daylight between the sides 15 minutes from time; the outstanding Lewis Sharp won an important tackle near the centre circle and drove past five Pollok players before picking out Murray on the right flank, and he composed himself before shooting home from 20 yards.

Pollok threw caution to the wind late on; only a superb save from O’Rourke kept Caple’s two-goal lead intact, but Caple battled right to the last whistle to secure a thoroughly deserved victory.

Caple will play Linwood Rangers in the semi-finals on Saturday, April 13; club chairman Craig Holborn said it was “a great achievement” to reach the last four of the tournament.