HELENSBURGH came flying out their corner like Tyson Fury on Red Bull on Saturday and had visitors Cumbernauld punch-drunk and breathless with three tries inside the first 15 minutes.

Despite managing to land a few blows by the end – something Burgh must keep their guard up against for the whole 80 minutes – the visitors buckled under some knockout rugby, as Burgh ensured their survival in West Region Division Two for next season.

Keen to banish the memories of the previous Saturday’s loss away to Uddingston, Burgh started more Raging Bull than Rocky at Ardencaple, and kept the big crowd ringside (right, that’s enough! – Ed) enthralled with a flurry of tries early on.

Rampant forward drives created the first after only two minutes, Nick Fish’s poise and balance allowing him to sashay past a couple of defenders for an unconverted try.

Paul Howell then blitzed over for a second before immediately turning provider, his scintillating break from half-way providing an easy run in for the supporting Ali Rogers.

Cumbernauld then threatened when their fly-half’s chip and chase eased him past Rogers’ despairing tackle, but Howell and the industrious Sam King got back to deny the try.

Burgh’s bonus point try came on 33 minutes, courtesy of a lovely show-and-go by the svelte Mike Linzee-Gordon, his podgy hand-off into the face of his opposite number adding injury to insult as he burst clear under the posts.

Howell converted and Burgh were 22-0 in front.

Hooker Mark Ashdown then went on a jamboree, seeming to dummy himself six times in looking for support before King drove for the line only to be stopped short –but from the ruck, Sean Alton was on hand to smash over for a fifth Burgh try.

However, with Burgh’s minds on the half-time Haribos, Cumbernauld did well to work their way into the home 22 and scamper over for an unconverted try to leave the hosts 27-5 ahead at the interval.

The pace of the second half failed to live up to that of the first, with neither side making headway until after 55 minutes, thanks to total dominance in the scrum, Cammy Kerr picked up from number 8 and went on a trademark blooter for 15 metres, bodies flailing off him like pins in a bowling alley.

He popped a deft pass to substitute Alex Macauley, whose dancing feet carried him deep into Cumby’s 22, but his pass to Fish was forward, denying a certain score.

But Ashdown struck against the head at the ensuing scrum, and simple hands through the backs allowed centre Mark Robertson to scythe through despairing tackles for a fine score.

Cumbernauld, to their credit, kept going, and were rewarded with another pack-power play score for 32-10.

But the Grizzlies came roaring back with driving rucks into the visitor’s 22, prop Liam Flanagan to the fore.

Linzee-Gordon had a couple of forays but then turned Tom Brady, firing an American football pass out to Macauley who got first down and more, running the pigskin into the endzone for a fine try.

The extra points were converted, if only just, by Sean Alton of all people to open up a 39-10 advantage for the Greens.

At the death, Cumbernauld fashioned another try out of nothing to round off an entertaining match where the late introduction of more Burgh youngsters in Cammy King, Jack Dunn and Ben Farrer, was a welcome sight.

Burgh: Fish, Rogers, Robertson, O’Brien, Bowman, Linzee-Gordon, Howell, Jamieson, Ashdown, Ard, C.Calderwood, D.Calderwood, Alton, Kerr, S.King. Subs: Flanagan, McLeod, Dunn, Farrar, C.King, J.Drake.

This Saturday, Burgh entertain Strathaven at Ardencaple, kick-off 3pm. Due to weather call-offs, it’s the first time the clubs will have met this season.