ARDENCAPLE’S 2006 team showed no sign of leg-weariness in their hectic end-of-season run-in by securing a dominant 5-0 win away to Thorn Athletic – though it was a different story against Clydebank, when despite controlling long spells of the match, Caple conceded two late goals and had to settle for a 3-3 draw.

A positive start against Thorn had the home side on the back foot, and it was no surprise when Calum Sharp opened the scoring with a header from a Godwin corner.

And the opener was quickly followed by a second, courtesy of a cool finish from Murray, as Caple aimed to make the most of their strong start to the match.

READ MORE: Ardencaple rise to challenge of busy fixture list

But Ardencaple failed to build on their fine start by being to slow with their build up play, allowing Thorn to get back into position defensively, and it took until just before half time for the visitors to extend their lead, when a defence-splitting pass from Cook saw Shields dink the goalkeeper to make it 3-0 at half time.

Ardencaple were always in control in this game but a mixture of good goalkeeping and poor finishing meant it was halfway through the second half before Cook made it 4-0.

Dougan added a fifth with minutes to go to complete a comfortable win.

Caple made the early running at home to Clydebank, with Murray’s header from a corner just clearing the bar, before a snap shot from the same player had the keeper beaten but was just too high.

For the next 15 minutes both teams cancelled each other out and there was no goalmouth action, but this changed on 20 minutes when a deep Godwin cross was pushed out to Dorizon who volleyed home.

READ MORE: Helensburgh secure promotion after league ruling

Ardencaple were frustrated when Clydebank equalised with a fine header, but it was Clydebank’s first attack of any note.

Caple were well on top in the second half and created three chances which all fell to Murray but he shot high with the first and wide with the second before forcing a good save from the keeper with his third effort.

Murray finally put Ardencaple into the lead when he volleyed home from six yards following a superb cross from Dorizon, and minutes later Murray lobbed the goalkeeper to make it 3-1.

However there was a sting in the tail when Clydebank reduced the leeway with a penalty with two minutes to go – and then equalised straight from the kick off leaving Ardencaple shell shocked after dominating for much of the game.