PLAYERS from Helensburgh, Craighelen, Cardross and Kirktonhill tennis clubs did battle at the weekend to raise funds for the Marie Curie Cancer Care charity.

The annual mixed doubles tournament, held in memory of Marie Dixon, who coached at the local clubs, was won this year by Helensburgh’s Bobby Kerr and Frankie Hanmer, who beat Cardross’s Graham Court and Helensburgh’s Anne McKelvie in a thrilling final.

A total of £418 was raised through entry fees, donations and a raffle.

Helensburgh club president Keith Love said he was delighted with the turnout and thanked everyone who had helped make it a special day.

READ MORE: Helensburgh hero Gordon Reid aims high after reaching French Open final

Marie Dixon’s children, Angus, Eric and Maeve and their families were on hand to present the prizes to the finalists. A very special handmade quilt donated by Libby Crossan was one of the prizes up for grabs and was won by a delighted Anne McKelvie.

In match news the Helensburgh men’s first team travelled across the river to play Ardgowan in Greenock, where first couple Fraser Fulton and Kevin Stephen were unlucky to lose the opening set 5-7.

They looked set to bounce back in the second after going 3-0 up, but lost their rhythm and allowed their opponents to claw their way back and win the second and third sets.

READ MORE: District veterans' tennis tournament provides Helensburgh winners

Second couple David McCowan and Stephen Lewis were in great form, winning 6-4, 6-3, 6-3, but third couple Alastair Hope and Keith Love, with Keith standing in for the injured Bobby Kerr, were unable to match that form, losing the opening set 4-6 and the second 3-6, before losing a break of serve in the vital 11th game to lose the last set 5-7.

The ladies’ first team played their penultimate match of the 2019 season away to Titwood on a wet and miserable night.READ MORE: Helensburgh tennis players hail 'legend' Andy Murray

With even half-decent tennis almost impossible, Alison Fotheringham and Gay Black at third couple put up strong resistance, but having narrowly lost the first two sets they took some consolation when the Titwood pair conceded the third in worsening weather.

Second couple Liz Wylie and Suzanne Marshall were unable to make much impression on their opponents despite their best efforts, first couple Katie Hope and Ann Morison played a match that was very similar to the third couples.

They lost the first two sets, despite fighting hard, before the Titwood pair conceded the third as puddles formed on the courts and it became almost impossible to hold the racquets. Titwood won the match by an overall margin of seven sets to two.