HELENSBURGH Cricket Club put their recent poor form behind them in some style at the weekend, recording back-to-back wins on Saturday and Sunday – and reaching the semi-final of Cricket Scotland’s Grey Nicholls Challenge Cup with the latter.

On Saturday Helensburgh hosted Dumfries side St Michaels in the league – and on winning the toss, skipper Gregor Chambers chose to let his bowling attack loose.

It looked a good decision on a lively pitch when Aidan Keogh struck in the first over, and though the visitors made steady progress, Freddie Parffrey soon got his just desserts after an excellent spell with the ball when he took the second wicket.

Jarryd Clancy replaced Parffrey and struck immediately, dismissing St Michaels’ in-form overseas amateur for a duck with his first delivery.

READ MORE: We can still turn our season around, says Helensburgh captain

With the impetus with them Helensburgh struck at regular intervals, with Clancy taking three for 20 and tail-end clean-up specialist Duncan Stephens weighing in with three for 24 as St Michaels were finally dismissed for 127.

Helensburgh, however, struggled to get going with the bat in pursuit of what looked like an eminently beatable total; Clancy, veteran keeper Stuart Adams, captain Chambers and Calum Thornton all went cheaply, and at 27 for four the home side were in trouble.

But Darren Butler steadied the ship, taking the attack to St Michaels with an array of fine shots; at 45 for five, Butler was joined by Marc Christensen, and an excellent partnership of 69 took Helensburgh to within touching distance of victory,

Butler holed out to long on just one run short of his half-century, leading to some nervous glances among his watching team-mates, but Christensen continued to be positive and saw the home side over the line with an excellent 42 not out as Helensburgh recorded only their second league win of the season.

Chambers again won the toss in Sunday’s cup quarter-final at home to Stenhousemuir, and again he chose to bowl first – and again Keogh was on target in his first over, this time finding the outside edge to Clancy.

READ MORE: Helensburgh hit form with two wins in two days

Cameron White backed him up by removing the other Stennie opener shortly after, and when Keogh clean bowled the number three with a spearing delivery, the visitors were floundering at 20 for three.

Only Valli at number four offered significant resistance with a well-crafted 54 – but with Keogh picking up a third wicket on his way to figures of three for 25, and Clancy, Butler and Christensen sharing the rest, Helensburgh really kept the hammer down as tight bowling, backed by a good performance in the field, saw the visitors dismissed for just 102.

Stennie made a good start, dismissing Clancy and Adams quickly to leave Helensburgh on five for two, and then Butler for just 13, to make it 33 for three.

But the gods were with Chambers as he was dropped twice in two balls – and the captain capitalised on his good luck, as he and Christensen put on an unbeaten 70 for the fourth wicket with an excellent display of positive batting, to see Helensburgh home to win by seven wickets. Chambers finished on 48 not out and Christensen was unbeaten on 31.

READ MORE: Royal Indians start their Scottish tour in Helensburgh

An unsurprisingly delighted Chambers said afterwards: “We played some really good cricket this weekend.

“Our bowling was good, we fielded well and most significantly we built some partnerships when batting and didn’t lose our heads after early wickets.

“Everyone has contributed this weekend and I was pleased to see Aidan, Jarryd and Darren doing well.

“But I’m particularly delighted for Marc (Christensen) who was the man of the weekend, with runs on both days and wickets on Sunday at a crucial time.”

READ MORE: Click here for all the latest Helensburgh and Lomond sporting headlines

Next up for Helensburgh is a league match away to Ayr this Saturday.

The Challenge Cup semi-final, meanwhile, is on Sunday, July 21, when Helensburgh will welcome Strathmore to Ardencaple.