Helensburghs poor run of results continued on Saturday when they exited the Bobby Thomson Challenge Cup after a 3-1 loss at home to Eaglesham.

Just a few weeks on from the sides' previous meeting, in the league, the home side had the better of the opening stages and only a fine save from the young Eaglesham keeper kept the scores level before Jamie Paterson saw his effort just slid past the post.

As the first half moved on the visitors, who had won that league clash 2-1, started to assert themselves, although Ronnie Eskdale in goal was rarely troubled as his defence kept the attacks at bay.

However with 30 minutes gone it was the visitors who opened the scoring; from a corner on the right; the ball was knocked down into the path of Eaglesham midfielder Graeme Brady, and he had an easy job to stroke the ball home.

READ MORE: Helensburgh edged out in league clash with Eaglesham

And the home side found themselves two down four minutes later when an innocuous shot that was going out of play was mishandled by Eskdale, leading to the award of a corner; from the resultant kick, a sclaffed shot by Brady found its way through a forest of legs and nestled in the corner of the net to put Eaglesham 2-0 up at the break.

The second half followed the path of the first 45, with the home team constantly chipping away at the visitors, but Eaglesham's defence held firm – and on the occasions when Helensburgh did break through they found the Eaglesham keeper in splendid form.

As the pressure built, Caleb Phipps saw his corner bounce off the post and Keith Thomas was once again denied by the in-form last line of defence.

But Helensburgh did finally get a foothold on the match with 15 minutes to go, when captain Danny Johns was pulled down inside the box after a lung-bursting run forward and Stuart Bailey reduced the arrears from the penalty spot.

READ MORE: Helensburgh boss urges team to cut out mistakes after Westerlands loss

Buoyed by this goal, the home team pushed forward looking for an equaliser, only to find the young Eaglesham keeper in outstanding form, with the best of his stops a fingertip save from Johns' powerful header.

And with the game almost at an end, Eaglesham put the result beyond doubt when Brady completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot.

Coach Russell Makeham said afterwards: "We are all disappointed, as once again we did enough to merit getting something out the game – but like the past weeks, we are giving away daft goals, and at the other end we can’t find the net.

"Today we were denied by a very good goalkeeping performance. However when you're struggling you don’t tend to get any breaks, so it’s up to us to throw off those shackles and give ourselves a wee boost."

READ MORE: Battling Helensburgh side knocked out of Scottish Amateur Cup

Squad: Ronnie Eskdale, Fraser Makeham, Ryan Jones, Stuart Bailey, Steven Bailey, Daniel Johns, Derek Park, Karl Johansson, Keith Thomas, Jamie Paterson, Caleb Phipps, Ross Jeffreys, David Allan, Calum Dodds.

This Saturday, November 16, Helensburgh travel to the south side of Glasgow for a league game against Crookston Castle, knowing that a first win of the season would lift them off the foot of the Greater Glasgow Premier AFL's first division.

Kick-off at the Nethercraigs pitches on Corkerhill Road is at 2pm.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile, Rhu Amateurs also emerged empty-handed from their league clash on Saturday after Caledonian League first division leaders Cambusbarron Rovers won 4-2 at Ardenconnel Park.

Gary Stillwell hit both of Rhu's goals, but his brace wasn't enough to prevent the Amateurs falling to a first home defeat of the season as Cambusbarron made it 11 wins from 12 games to maintain their commanding 11-point advantage at the top.

This Saturday, November 16, Rhu travel to Airdrieonians FC's home ground, the Penny Cars Stadium, to take on Glasgow University in the third round of the West of Scotland Cup.

Kick-off is again at 2pm.

READ MORE: Click here for all the latest sporting headlines from around Helensburgh and Lomond