Rhu Amateurs' Douglas Smith League Cup campaign was brought to an end at the quarter-final stage on Saturday after a 4-1 loss at home to a well-drilled Milton Amateurs side.

In brutal weather conditions, Rhu – who had already dispatched two top flight opponents, holders Giffnock North and then Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers, in the early rounds of the tournament. started strongly, with great link up play all over the park, but couldn’t finish the multiple chances created.

The best early opportunity came when Ross Jeffrey was played through on goal only to have his shot saved by the keeper.

But the home side did break the deadlock with around five minutes of the first half remaining when Kyle Sharkey powered home.

READ MORE: Toms hits the Mark as Rhu run riot against Viewfield Rovers

Sadly for the home supporters, their hopes of an upset suffered a blow when slack marking at a free kick allowed Milton's David MacAuliffe to level the tie just before the break, leaving Rhu worried at the interval that they might be made to pay for their spurned chances.

And in the second half, with the rain still lashing down, Rhu failed to match up to their performance in the first 45 minutes, with two more mistakes at the back enabling the visitors to take a 3-1 lead, first through an own goal and then courtesy of Marc Rodger.

Rhu pushed forward in a bid to set up a grandstand finish, but they were caught out at the back by a well-drilled Milton side when Calum Hendrie ended the contest with the visitors' fourth.

READ MORE: Rhu see off Stirling University challenge after Stillwell hits a hat-trick

Boss Stewart Maule said: “Some of the football we played in the first half was incredible considering the conditions, but we failed to capitalise and paid the price.

“It was 1-1 at half time and we seemed to fail to come back out for the second half.

“Having said that, we still created enough chances, but got hit on the break while chasing the game.

READ MORE: Red-hot Rhu pull off cup shock with win away to top-flight Wishaw

“We wish Milton all the best now and hope they can go on and win it.

“A big thank you to the players that played with injuries, climbed out of their sick beds and came straight from work.”

Rhu play their final fixture of 2019 this Saturday, December 14, when they travel to Glasgow to face Weir Recreation.

Kick-off at Albert Park is at 2pm.

READ MORE: Click here for all the latest sports news from around Helensburgh and Lomond