RISING rally star Fraser Anderson had a challenging day in the second event of the BTRDA Rally Championship season in the Lake District last Saturday.

After an encouraging morning on the first four stages of the Malcolm Wilson Rally, the Shandon teenager and his co-driver Sinclair Young suffered a blow when they were caught out on a left-hand bend and ended up in a ditch on the penultimate stage of the event.

With the help of spectators, the pair’s Ford Fiesta R2 was pulled out and back on to the road, but with four minutes lost and a big task for the support crew, any hopes of finishing near the top of the R2 class standings were extinguished as the duo finished seventh in class and 48th overall.

Fraser said afterwards: “Through the first four stages the pace was about on par with the others in the R2 class. This was very encouraging given the experience and competitiveness within the class.

READ MORE: Cambrian Rally is a weekend of firsts for rising star Fraser

“Going into the afternoon loop of stages I was feeling very positive about the morning stages, knowing there was plenty more pace to get out of the car.

“On to stage five, the first half of the Grizedale stages, and the flow in the car was very good, which was reflected again in the times which were not far off the front of the pack.

“A slight delay between stage five and six gave us some time to catch up with the other competitors before heading into the 16.8km stage.

“At the start of the stage we had a plan to continue at the same pace as we had been on all morning. Unfortunately we were caught out on a left hander which tightened over a crest.

READ MORE: Helensburgh youngster catches the eye of British rally champ Matt Edwards

“Fortunately the ditch was very soft and there was plenty of spectators around to pull us out. By the time we were going again around four minutes had been lost.

“Heading back into service the crew had plenty to keep them busy to get the car fixed up and ready for the final stage of the day. Big thanks to Matt Edwards, Nigel Williams and Sam Bilham for sorting the car in the 20 minute service.

“After losing too much time to the other competitors in stage six the last stage of the day had no pressure. As a result a no risk approach was taken to ensure that we finished the rally.

“Not the result we were looking for but more miles under the belt and plenty positives to take away from the weekend.”

READ MORE: Fraser returns to form with victory in Leuchars junior rally

Next up – coronavirus advice permitting – is the Rallynuts Stages Rally in the Severn Valley area on April 18.

Fraser added: “The current situation with the coronavirus may change our plans.

“However we will continue to work hard in the background to make sure we are not missing any opportunities.”

READ MORE: Catch up with all the latest Helensburgh and Lomond sporting headlines here