RHU Amateurs’ Glasgow Colleges League team ended a run of three straight defeats with a 3-2 win at home to Greater Glasgow.

But it wasn’t an easy shift – and indeed any expectation that it might be a straightforward 90 minutes for the Colts was dispelled within a few minutes of kick-off as the Glasgow team took an early lead, some slack play allowing the visitors’ striker to get a shot away past goalkeeper Stevie Lewis.

The Rhu lads struggled for a while to settle into the game after the loss of the opener, but eventually they started to take some control and were rewarded with two quick goals.

First up, Luke Godwin got on the end of a slick pass from Martin Beaton to slam the ball home for the equaliser, and then three minutes later Martin Beaton clipped the ball into the net from close range after a corner was whipped in by Young.

It remained 2-1 at the break, but the visitors tried to step up the pressure at the start of the season half, leading to some close calls and to Lewis pulling off some good stops.

The pressure was eventually eased when Rhu added their third after Godwin was pulled to the ground inside the visitors’ penalty area and Reece Beaton gave the keeper no chance from the resulting spot-kick.

There was to be no easy end to the game for Rhu, though, with the visitors reducing the arrears to 3-2 with a penalty of their own just two minutes later - but despite mounting pressure from the Glasgow team in the closing stages, the Rhu defence held firm and saw the game out for a welcome three points.

A spokesperson for the team said: “It wasn’t the prettiest performance but a much needed victory which hopefully should set the lads up for the final few games before the mid season split.”

Team: Lewis, Kjorstad, Sinclair, Caldow, Moy, R Beaton, Donaldson, Black, Young, Godwin, M Beaton, Brown, Campbell, Shields, Mooney, Scullion.

Next up is an away trip to play Cambuslang FA this Saturday, October 28 at the Toryglen Regional Football Centre in Glasgow - kick-off is at 10am.

* Meanwhile, Rhu’s Caledonian League side paid the price for a disappointing performance on Saturday as they exited the West of Scotland Cup after a 3-1 defeat away to Cumnock Amateurs.

Rhu had some players missing, and a few injuries didn’t help, as two quick-fire goals by Black and McMaster early in the second half put the hosts in a commanding lead.

Rhu halved the deficit with a well-taken penalty from Jamie Paterson, but as they pushed forward in search of the equaliser they were caught on the break as the hosts’ Kerr put the tie out of reach with the last kick of the ball.

This Saturday, October 28, Rhu's Caledonian League squad face another lengthy road trip - this time for a league match away to Callander Thistle (KO 2pm).