LEWIS Thomson hit a double on his first start for Rhu Amateurs as the club's Saturday morning squad completed back-to-back wins over Woodbank AFC at the weekend.

Ryan Jones also found the net twice, while George McConnell and Reece Court were also on target as Rhu's Glasgow Colleges FA team followed up the previous week's 3-2 home win with a 6-2 victory at Nethercraigs.

A change in kick-off time to 9am meant there was little time for the usual pre-match preparations while the early start also forced coach Paul McColl into six changes from the squad that had lined up against Woodbank on home turf seven days earlier.

But despite the changes Rhu started brightly, dominating the early stages and opening the scoring on 13 minutes when Young was released down the left wing, and his cross was met by Thomson to knock it home at the back post on his first starting appearance for the squad.

And the visitors wasted little time in making the most of their early upper hand, doubling their advantage 10 minutes later when veteran Dougie Black, who produced a man-of-the-match performance throughout the 90 minutes, picked out McConnell with a precision pass that allowed the midfielder to run through on goal, sidestep the keeper and coolly side-foot the ball into the empty net.

But straight from the restart, and totally against the run of play, Woodbank got a foothold in the match when one of their players spotted keeper Lewis off his line and, with some assistance from the wind, struck a 40-yard attempt straight into the top corner.

Rhu, though, were in no mood to let the home team level matters, and barely had anyone had time to draw breath when McColl's men re-established their two-goal lead; Reece Court ran in on goal to fire the ball under the Woodbank keeper, and raised his head and hands to the sky as he dedicated the goal to his friend Nick Fish, who tragically lost his life earlier in the week.

But Woodbank, to their credit, bounced back for a second time, this time taking advantage of some loose play in the Rhu defence to cut the deficit to a single goal for the second time in as many minutes.

The game ebbed and flowed as Rhu sought to re-establish their superiority and Woodbank attempted to get back on terms but the home team's hopes were dealt a hammer blow 10 minutes before half time when Thomson got his second, and Rhu's fourth, after he was put through by Welsh and slipped the ball past the Woodbank keeper.

The second half was totally dominated by the visitors, with the only surprise being that just two more goals followed after the break; Jones, who had rattled the crossbar in the first half, notched the fifth 10 minutes after the restart before completing the scoring right on the final whistle.

In between Jones' two goals, Rhu created plenty of chances, but all went astray and fortunately weren't punished by the home side.

McColl said afterwards: "I have missed the past few weeks due to work but have watched from afar whilst the boys have racked up an impressive run of results in the league.

"It was good to get back on the sidelines today and refreshing to see such a positive performance."

Meanwhile, Rhu's over-35 team picked up their first point of the new Football Central league season with a 2-2 draw away to Glasgow Wellington on Friday night.

First half goals from Dave Philips and Stewart Fraser gave Rhu a comfortable lead at the interval, but in the second half the hosts managed to turn things around, levelling the game in the last minute after a dubious penalty decision.

Nonetheless it was another good performance from Rhu, building on a positive second half in their previous game against MF Muirhouse, when the locals battled back from a 3-0 half-time deficit to lose by only one, with Wight and Whiland the men on target.

Next up for the Rhu 'oldsters' is a home match against Inchinnan on Friday, April 5.

Elsewhere at the weekend, despite the best efforts of the Rhu groundstaff the club's Caledonian League squad saw their home game against leaders Dunipace called off on Saturday following heavy rain at Ardenconnel Park.

This Saturday, March 30, Rhu's Caledonian League squad welcome Cambusbarron Rovers to Ardenconnel (KO 2pm), while the club's Saturday morning squad are away to Burnhill with a 10am start.

Off the park, meanwhile, Rhu have launched a hunt for a talented artist, student artist or graffiti artist to breathe new life into one of the walls of the clubhouse at Ardenconnel Park.

Working alongside the club on a suitable design, the right person will be given the chance to transform the exterior west wall of the building (the far side, away from Cumberland Road).

For more information see the 'Rhu Amateurfc' page on Facebook.