Rhu boss Gordon Brodie praised his players for digging deep and bouncing back at the weekend after watching them fall to their heaviest defeat of the season.

A 4-2 win at home to Cambria on Saturday banished at least some of the bad memories left by an 8-1 trouncing at the hands of Drumchapel three days earlier – and gave the large and enthusiastic crowd plenty to smile about.

The Drumchapel defeat was viewed the management team of Brodie and Alan Campbell as “our biggest and most embarrassing” since they took charge more than two years ago – and the duo sent the players on to the park on Saturday with a simple message, to secure the three points and show their supporters that the game against Drumchapel was a blip in their bid to finish the season as strongly as possible.

Rhu changed shape for the visit of Cambria in a bid to start on the front foot and put the visitors under pressure, but the pre-match team talk, initially at least, didn’t seem to have the desired effect as Rhu couldn’t find any rhythm to their play early on, perhaps struggling to get over the hangover of Wednesday.

Helensburgh Advertiser:

And things got worse when Lewis Fagan was forced off early in the game with a nasty head knock that required hospital attention.

It was the away side who seized the initiative after some slack Rhu play and took a deserved lead after a mix-up in the home defence.

But the loss of the game’s first goal finally seemed to spark the hosts into action, and Rhu equalised just before half-time when Cambria failed to deal with a Holborn set play and a visiting defender put the ball into his own net.

The management team demanded more from their players in the half-time team talk, and urged them to step up the tempo – and the message seemed to do the trick as Rhu came out of the blocks flying, with a quick-fire double from Paterson and Evans seemingly putting the game to bed.

Cambria showed they weren’t finished, though, and quickly reduced the deficit to set up the potential for a nervy end to the game, but with the scent of victory in their nostrils Rhu dug deep in the closing stages to ensure there would be no grandstand finish, with top scorer Jamie Paterson netting an absolute screamer to seal the points with his second of the afternoon.

Helensburgh Advertiser:

Brodie said afterwards: “We rolled up our socks and dealt with everything Cambria threw at u,s and showed the support why there is so much confidence that this group of players can bring success to Ardenconnel.

“This wasn't a pretty game but an important one for the boys to bounce back and set themselves up for a big finish to the season. 

“Thanks to the support at the weekend and on Wednesday evening. It's brilliant see so many guys out showing their support to this young and hungry Rhu team.”

This Saturday, May 4, Rhu face more tough opposition in the shape of league leaders Dunipace. Kick-off at Ardenconnel Park is at 2pm.

Meanwhile, Rhu’s Saturday morning Glasgow Colleges FA team made it two wins out of two at the weekend when captain Dylan Caldow headed home the only goal of the game against Glasgow Medics.

The previous game between the sides had been a tight affair, with Medics squeezing out a win, and this game was no exception, with Rhu, after a four-week lay-off, struggling to find much rhythm in the first half.

The visitors dominated the opening 45 minutes, but the Rhu defensive four of Kjorstad, Caldow, Adams and Scullion kept scoring opportunities to a minimum.

With some changes to personnel  and some wise words from the coaches at the break the Rhu side went about their business in a more determined fashion, controlling the game and limiting the Medics to little or no chances.

However, opportunities for the hosts weren’t much more plentiful, and it took a set-piece to break the deadlock after an hour, Caldow rising higher than the visitors’ defence to heat home a Scullion corner.

Helensburgh Advertiser:

A scrappy final half-hour featured frequent free-kicks for both sides as well as a rash of yellow cards to some of the Rhu players, with one becoming a red 10 minutes from time when Sinclair received a harsh second caution.

The visitors pressed hard for the equaliser, but Rhu held firm in the closing stages, and through the eight minutes of added time, to secure the spoils.

Relieved manager Jamie Kjorstad said: “We knew it might be difficult, as missing four weeks of competitive football does takes away that edge in your play.

“That, and the fact the Medics are a well organised outfit, meant we would have to work hard to get anything from the game, so it’s credit to everyone who played that we got the win. 

Squad: Young, Kjorstad, Caldow, Adams, Scullion, McKenna, McConnell, Black, Shields, Moy, Thomson , Jones, Brown, Campbell, Sinclair, Molloy.

Next up for the team is a trip to Kirkintilloch to play Rosebank this Saturday, May 4 (KO 10am).

Meanwhile, Rhu’s over-35s team return to action this Friday, May 3, against Glasgow On The Ball on the 4G surface at Hermitage Academy (KO 8pm).