HELENSBURGH produced a superb battling display to record a memorable 3-2 win away to promotion-chasing Newshot on Saturday – after being 2-0 down.

Burgh, who came into the match on a high after a 5-0 win away to Glasgow University three days earlier, knew they faced a stern challenge, with four key players unavailable through injury or work commitments against a Newshot side who came into the match boasting an unbeaten home league record.

Newshot made the stronger start with their left winger twice getting in behind the Burgh back four, though he was unable to produce a telling final ball.

Burgh gradually edged their way into the game, and it was the away side who created the first real chance, David Sinclair beating his full-back for pace on the right before firing in a low shot which Newshot’s keeper did well to tip wide.

READ MORE: Helensburgh ease to 5-0 win away to Glasgow University

But it was Newshot who took the lead in bizarre circumstances five minutes before the break, when an inswinging corner was somehow missed by everyone before cannoning off the inside of the far post and just crossing the line, despite the desperate efforts of the Helensburgh defence.

The second half started fairly evenly, but just before the hour Newshot doubled their lead when a fairly innocuous ball into the box was poorly cleared, and a shot from 25 yards looked to be going wide before Geraint Meader’s attempted clearance diverted the ball past helpless keeper Liam Hanson.

But Helensburgh showed real spirit and determination to battle thier way back into the game – and just two minutes after losing the second goal, the visitors pulled one back when David Allan chased down a through ball in behind the Newshot back four, and though the home keeper won the race for the ball, Steven Bailey collected his clearance 30 yards out and coolly lobbed the ball into the net.

READ MORE: Helensburgh's cup campaign ends with loss at home to Jordanhill

That gave Helensburgh a lifeline, and just past the 70-minute mark the visitors levelled when sustained pressure forced a Newshot defender to play the ball back to his keeper – who dallied on the ball a fraction too long, allowing the opportunistic Allan the chance to get his foot on the ball and poke home.

Helensburgh now had the clear upper hand against an increasingly frustrated Newshot side, and from their next real attack the visitors again shook their hosts when Meader was tripped as he burst into the area, and Wilkie calmly dispatched the resulting penalty.

Newshot put the Burgh goal under tremendous pressure in the closing stages, but the visitors stood firm - and Hanson pulled off a superb save to push a header round the post and secure full points for the away side, extending an unbeaten league run which stretches back to November.

READ MORE: Win over Calderglen puts spring back in Helensburgh's step

Assistant manager Russell Makeham, who took charge for the game, said: “We were disappointed to find ourselves two down when we felt we were right in the game but huge credit to the lads as they battled back really well.

“This result, on top of Wednesday’s performance, really was the perfect end to a busy week of football but we still have some big challenges in front of us.”

Squad for both games: Liam Hanson, Geraint Meader, Ryan Jones, Danny Johns, Steven Bailey, David Sinclair, Karl Johansson, Callum Dodds, Russell Makeham, David Wilkie, David Allan, Steven Martin, Del Park, Dougie Black, Scott Petro, James Rowe.

Helensburgh won 3-2 at home to South Lochaber Thistle in their latest league match on Wednesday night; report to follow.

Check out all the latest Helensburgh and Lomond sport headlines here

The team are back on home soil once more when they host Newshot in the return fixture this Saturday, May 11.